Plan Your Trip
Kauai’s enchanting landscape offers many areas to explore! From Waimea Canyon to Hanalei Bay to the Napali Coast, nature’s beauty will astound you on the Garden Isle. Kauai’s charming small towns will give you a taste of “Old Hawaii”.
- Sail along the Napali Coast. The best way to view the majestic mountains of the Napali Coast is from a boat tour.
- Kayak on the Wailua River. This tranquil river offers a beautiful setting for a kayak trip. If you’d rather not paddle, boat tours are also available.
- Hike around Waimea Canyon. Kokee State Park, at the end of Waimea Canyon Drive, provides hiking trails for beginners to advanced trekkers.
- Play a Round on a Championship Golf Course. Kauai has many excellent golf courses to choose from, all surrounded by beautiful scenery.
- Waimea Canyon, touted as “The Grand Canyon of the Pacific”, is smaller than its cousin in Arizona but impressive nonetheless. Waimea Canyon Drive offers scenic vistas overlooking the canyon, and leads to Kokee State Park.
- The Fern Grotto, accessed by taking a short boat ride up the Wailua River, is a lava-rock grotto surrounded by ferns. A popular Kauai destination wedding site, the serene setting was once only accessible to Hawaiian royalty.
- Wailua Falls are easily accessible (no hiking required) and make a stunning photo souvenir.
There are a variety of dining options in the Kapaa area or beyond for any type of budget. Be sure to check the Aloha Book for savings on many of these restaurants:
- Aloha n Paradise Espresso Bar – Waimea, 808-338-1522
- Brennecke's Beach Broiler – Koloa, 808-742-7588
- Duke's Kauai – Lihue, 808-246-9599
- Hanalei Taro & Juice Company – Hanalei, 808-826-1059
- Joe's on the Green – Koloa, 808-742-9696
- Keoki's Paradise – Koloa, 808-742-7534
- Koloa Mill – Koloa, 808-631-7520
- Kountry Style Kitchen – Kapaa, 808-822-3511
- The Palms Restaurant – Aston Aloha Beach Hotel, Kapaa, 808-823-6000
Festival of Lights 2011 - Dec 2-31, 2011
The 2011 Festival of Lights at the Kauai Historic County Building Park on Rice Street starts on Friday, December 2nd and runs through the end of the month. The festival is dedicated to preserving and presenting the unique artistic creations of Josie Chansky. Celebrate the holidays Hawaiian-style!
Waimea Town Celebration 2012 - Feb 18-25, 2012
Waimea Town Celebration showcases local musical entertainment, and features crafts, games and local products. Other events over the weekend include the 12th Annual Waimea Roundup Rodeo, mountainball and three-on-three basketball tournaments, a 10K run, canoe race, and other cultural activities.
Prince Kuhio Celebration Festival - March11-26, 2012
Kauai celebrates the birthday and birthplace of Prince Jonah Kuiho Kalanianaole, one of Hawaii’s most beloved monarchs, with a week of festivities at various venues. The festival starts off with the 43rd Annual Prince Kuhio Long Distance Canoe Race, and continues throughout the week. Experience the Hawaiian culture through the festival’s events, demonstrations, and lessons, including music, hula, lei making, craft fairs and other cultural activities.
More information and additional events: kauaifestivals.com
Kauai’s main airport is Lihue Airport (LIH) in Lihue. Many airlines offer non-stop service to Kauai, but you may also fly into Honolulu (HNL) and then catch a short flight to Lihue. The best option for exploring the island is to rent a car at the airport. Aston Aloha Beach Hotel is located about 5 miles north of Lihue, in Kapaa.